Click here for more information on:
Traffic Information IJmuiden
Warning to be observed when entering IJmuiden harbour
Though IJmuiden harbour is comparatively very easy of access, captains would be well advised to read the following warnings:
- Never enter without a pilot, if you do not have local knowledge of the port situation. If because of prevailing bad weather a pilot cannot be obtained on the roads, a pilot will be ready to board the ship as soon as the outer harbour has been entered.
- It is also possible to obtain a pilot by means of helicopter transfer. Arrangements should be made in advance (see helicopter pilot service). Radar piloting assistance is available from HOC.
- Never navigate too close to the pierheads, as large blocks of concrete have been deposited around them, up to a distance of 123 feet.
- Never reduce speed to less than 6 knots when entering with the tide running. Keep to the South pierhead when it is flood tide, to the North pierhead when ebbtide. Especially when the wind and tide are coming from the same direction, a decidedly strong current runs across the entrance. When a speed of at least 6 knots cannot be attained and kept, wait until low water.
- Never forget that the flood tide running N.N.E. is usually much stronger than the ebb tide running into S.S.W.-ly direction.
- Never forget the important fact that the flood runs with diminishing speed until 2 to 3 hours after high water. The ebb attains its greatest force 2 hours after low water.
Low water IJmuiden 2 to 3 hours before high water and 2 to 3 hours after high water. These are the best times to enter IJmuiden.
Average tide and speed of current at IJmuiden
During neap tides the current will be 25% less in speed, and during spring tides about 20% more in speed.
More information on:Dangerous Goods - Facts & Figures - Health - Immigration - Navigation - Port Accommodation - Quarantine - Seamens's Houses - Organisation - Port security - Shipping - Ship repair - Terminals - Transportation - Weather and tides
NewsletterSubscribe to The Dutch Port Guide Free Newsletter and get free news about the developments in the Dutch Port areas.
Send us your news & press releases!
If your company has hot news or a press release related to the port industry, share it with your industry on Dutchportguide.com!Submit Your News
About the Dutch Ports
Find out everything you need to know about te Dutch ports: general and contact information, port accomodation and more.